For a little money and effort, installing carbon monoxide monitors offers a big payoff: you and your family are safeguarded from deadly carbon monoxide poisoning.

The highly toxic result of incomplete combustion, carbon monoxide gas cannot be smelled, seen or tasted. Because the gas is undetectable, the staff at Chad’s AD Direct recommends installing monitors in the home or workplace to warn you of its presence.

Exposure can happen quickly or slowly, over time. In either case, a person suffering the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, burning eyes, drowsiness – may not realize the cause.

Poisoning can result in death or brain damage. Children and older adults are particularly susceptible to carbon monoxide poisoning.

Your furnace can be just one of many sources

Many homeowners mistakenly believe the only source of carbon monoxide is when a car engine is left running in a closed garage. Carbon monoxide can also be emitted by any appliance that burns gas, kerosene, propane, or heating oil for fuel, including furnaces, ovens and ranges, space heaters, grills, wood burning stoves, clothes dryers, or water heaters.

A blocked chimney flue may also be a source of dangerous carbon monoxide emissions.

Fortunately, carbon monoxide monitors are inexpensive and easy to install. A quality monitor can be purchased online or at a home improvement store for around $30.

Most monitors should be mounted on the wall, but monitors that stand free on a table or flat surface are also available. Follow instructions to mount monitors on the wall. It’s best to place carbon monoxide monitors at knee level, but if children or pets are in the home, monitors should be placed out of their reach.

Don’t forget to place batteries in your monitor! In many models, batteries can last several years.

As added insurance against carbon monoxide poisoning, make sure a contractor performs regular furnace maintenance and appliances are always functioning properly.